Autodesk Design Review 2009 is this year's release of the Autodesk Design Review software. I am proud to say that we have managed to integrate some great new features including a number of feature requests, outstanding and new.
This makes this release - in my honest opinion - rise above the rest.
I am using this article to outline some of the new features that will be available with Autodesk Design Review 2009. A more detailed description for each will follow in the coming weeks.
- New default file format. DWFx is now the default file format for Design Review. DWFx files can be viewed on Windows Vista without installing additional software or plug-ins. Actually DWFx files can be viewed anywhere an XPS viewer is already present. Some customers have added XPS viewing to their Windows XP systems.
- Enhanced user interface. Design Review now has a more customizable interface.
- Find text. Locate text in an open DWF file. This was a much requested feature.
- Rotate 2D content. In addition to raster images, you can now rotate 2D sheets that do not contain markup. You no longer have to turn your head sideways to see those portrait layouts.
- Flexible component support. Design Review can display flexible components in a DWF file. A flexible component is an object published by Inventor that illustrates a connection between other objects, such as a wire strung between two telephone poles. If one pole is moved farther from the other pole, the wire (the flexible component) appears to stretch to accommodate the new pole position.
- Updated plug-ins. Design Review plug-ins have been improved. For example, this includes Batch Print, DGN import, and JT import.
- Project Freewheel. Design Review can now share DWF files on the Project Freewheel Web site so DWF files can be reviewed by others without requiring customers to install Autodesk Design Review. Choose File->Freewheel... to learn more about the plug-in. (The Autodesk Project Freewheel Web site and the Freewheel plug-in are available in English only.)
- Batch print directly from Design Review. You can now print multiple DWF files without having to download and install a plug-in.
The new features of Autodesk Design Review 2009 continue to help DWF go beyond what can be done with paper.